What Is Internal Assessment
Your Internal Assessment (IA) is a project that you will have to complete in all your IB classes. The style and grade value depends on the subject. It is a project that you will work on with the guidance of your teacher (or your tutor). The great thing about the internal assessment is that it allows students to be flexible and to further investigate a topic that they find interesting within the given subject. As good as it sounds, generating IA topic ideas is not always easy and that’s why we decided to help you here with some unique history IA ideas. Just read on!
What Makes a Good History IA
A good IA should demonstrate your own interest of the topic. Moreover, it should show that the student has learned and has been able to demonstrate what they have learned. That said, a good IA does not have to be a very complex and intricate piece of work. Rather a clearly stated and clearly answered research question, consistent structure, and clear personal engagement which demonstrates knowledge will earn the student a good grade.
So let’s jump into what you are here for. Here is a list of 25 possible topics that serve as great history IA ideas. And keep in mind that in a history IA, it is more important to pick a topic that genuinely motivates you to display personal engagement than to pick a random historical event and just write the required 2200 words about it.
25 Unique History IA Ideas
- How successful was Mao’s political campaign and the Cultural Revolution?
- How significant was WWII for the women’s movement in the United States?
- to what extent were foreign powers involved in the Rwandan Genocide?
- To what extent was the Haitian slave revolution the most successful revolution to date?
- To what extent did the League of Nations fail to prevent WWII?
- How did the involvement of Germany in the Spanish Civil war impact the outcome?
- How did the Economic agriculture policies of Stalin in the USSR effect the Ukrainian Famine?
- To what extent did Stalin’s 5-year Plans make the USSR stronger (or Weaker)?
- To what extent did Stalin’s states establish at the expense of the soviet people?
- To what extent was Germany to blame for WWI?
- To what extent did foreign intervention affect the stabilization process of Mozambique?
- To what extent did the Belgium colonial rule of Congo hinder its stabilization process?
- To what extent did the Plessy v. Ferguson Case affect the Civil rights movement?
- To what extent what the Civil Rights Act of 1964 a successful (or unsuccessful) document?
- In what ways did the civil rights movement make significant progress between 1950 to 1964?
- To what extent were civil rights philosophies positive (or negative) campaign methods?
- To what extent Margaret Sanger a successful advocate for Birth Control and Women’s rights?
- To what extent was nationalism the goal for German unification in 1871?
- To what extent was Spain a fascist State after Franco’s victory?
- To what extent did the ethnic make/up of Yugoslavia lead to its break up?
- To what extent did Slobodan Milosevic play a significant role in the wars in the former Yugoslavia?
- To what extent did European Colonialism hinder the democratic evolution of the colonizers?
- To what extent did Woodrow Wilson’s Fourteen Points affect Europe’s peace process?
- To what extent did the peace-making process work after WWII in comparison to the peace-making process after WWI?
- To what extent did Spain cease to be a dictatorship after 1933 despite Franco still being in power?
To Think About Before You Choose
To recap, the IB History Internal Assessment is a historical investigation of 2200 words. It allows you to dive into any historical controversy, event, or actors that interests you. In order to get a good grade, it is required that you choose an event that happened more than ten years ago to allow for a proper investigation. Therefore, we hope one of the topics above sparked a fire of interest in you and you’ll have an easy time writing a killer history IA.
No worries, our tutors are here to help. Whether you would like to consult on what topic to choose or need additional help with setting up the structure of your IA, Think Smart Tutoring can help you. Just sign-up here for our tutoring services and we’ll contact you shortly to set up the first introductory session.